HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE EINKORN BREAD THAT IS DAIRY FREE , LIGHTLY SWEETENED AND MADE IN LESS THAN 2 HOURS.
One of the first things I wanted to make when our family started on our real food journey was BREAD. BUT, as much as I love baking and feel pretty confident in most of my baking skills, bread was not one of them.
Years ago , when we were first married we received a bread maker( remember those). I was making al kinds of bread, and then it just got wore out, so I stopped baking bread.
I always tried to look for the most healthy store bought bread, so didn’t think I was eating too bad but in my heart, I wanted to bake my own bread. Everyone was baking bread, why couldn’t I bake bread, without it turning out dense and like a big huge brick.
HOW TO BAKE A SOFT LOAF OF BREAD
When our family went though some medical challenges and we eliminated dairy and lowered our gluten consumption, we found EINKORN FLOUR! We absolutely love einkorn, not only is this grain more healthy for our digestive system, it is so light and airy and is absolutely wonderful for bread making and NO KNEADING REQUIRED, I think I can do this!
THERE IS NOTHING LIKE THE SMELL OF FRESHLY BAKED BREAD
*1 cup water lukewarm water( not to hot )
*2 teaspoon active dry yeast
*1/3 cup honey or room temp. maple syrup
*2 tablespoons olive oil or melted coconut oil
*1 teaspoons sea salt
*3 1/2 cups all purpose einkorn flour
HOW TO PUT IT ALL TOGETHER
1. In a large mixing bowl , add warm water and sprinkle yeast on top , mix well and rest for 5 minutes.
2. Add honey or maple syrup , oil, and salt, whisk until all combined.
3. Slowly add flour , mixing with a wooden spoon until all flour is combined. Using your hands mix all flour mixture until a ball forms. Sticky dough is ok, einkorn dough will be more sticky DONT ADD MORE FLOUR.
4. Cover bowl with tea towel for 1 hour or until doubled in size. I have left it longer when my home temp was cooler. A warmer kitchen will rise the dough faster, but don’t be tempted to put it on your stovetop as this will be too warm.
5. Once the dough is doubled in size, take the dough and work it gently into a loaf ( einkorn does not like to be overworked) and set into a prepared lined loaf pan. Cover with tea towel for 30 minutes. Bread will begin to double in size.
6. Preheat oven to 375F , After 30 minutes , place uncovered bread in oven for approximately 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
7. Allow the bread to cool slightly and lift the bread out of the pan and place on a cooling rack.
8. I KNOW ITS TEMPTING AND SMELLS OH SO GOOD, BUT WAIT UNTIL IT COOLS BEFORE SLICING.
HOPE YOUR FAMILY LOVES THIS AS MUCH AS OURS DOES!