THESE SIMPLE HOMESTYLE FRIES MAKE THE PERFECT SIDE DISH TO ANY MEAL, THEY ARE LIGHTLY COATED WTH OLIVE OIL AND A TOUCH OF SEA SALT BAKED ON A CAST IRON SKILLET.
Once a week in our home , we like to make barbeque or some sort of sandwich for dinner and homemade fries are a favorite with my family.
YES, it is easy to rip open a bag of frozen French fries to put in the oven but there is nothing better than the flavor of homemade fries.
Growing up in Michigan on a produce farm, potatoes were plenty We grew so many , we had a big potato bin in our basement and even n the winter time, my sister and I were always grabbing our baskets to fill with potatoes for mom to make for dinner. It was always something made with potatoes and we loved when it was homemade fries nights. That was my favorite!
Another good reason to make homemade fries is they are so much HEALTHER! These fries are made with healthy olive oil , a touch of sea salt and baked on a cast iron skillet in the oven for that extra crispy goodness!
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at not extra cost to you. See my full disclosure here.
5 large Russet or Yukon gold potatoes ( I use Yukon)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon paprika ( optional )
HOW TO MAKE THESE FRIES IN THE CAST IRON SKILLET
1. Preheat oven to 425 F and place cast iron skillet or griddle in oven for 5 minutes to heat and then place on top of stove leaving oven on.
2. On a cutting board, cut prewashed potatoes ( you can peel or leave skins on ) into quarter size pieces or desired size fries.
3. Place in a large bowl and add oil, sea salt and paprika. Mix well with your hands and place on hot cast iron, CAREFULLY spreading them out.
4. Place them in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until lightly brown and crispy. Depending on thickness, the time will vary. Check one for doneness.
5. Let cool on top of stove leaving them on the cast iron skillet.
6. Enjoy them as a side dish or completely on their own! Yum!