These Spiced Apple Sweet Potato Waffles make the perfect Sunday breakfast with smells of apples, cinnamon and a touch of maple syrup.
When our family set out on our real food journey and my son became allergic to dairy, breakfast was one of the first changes we made. I don’t know about your family, but our family LOVES breakfast and its the perfect start to a GREAT day!
These Apple Sweet Potato Waffles are a favorite in our home. After all my experimenting I finally came up with a perfect pancake and waffle recipe with no dairy, no eggs and no oil. A REAL food waffle that my family loves!
APPLES AND SWEET POTATOES
Apples are perfect in these waffles and can take place of the oil or butter that typical waffles have and pureed sweet potatoes can be used in place of oil and eggs. Apples and sweet potatoes are the perfect combination that gives these waffles a burst of fall flavor, although we eat them all year around.
These waffles make the perfect breakfast or snack for kids and with real food ingredients too! With no dairy, eggs or oil , its perfect for an allergy friendly home. These can be made gluten free by using a gluten free flour blend like King Arthur’s gluten free flour.
WHAT’S INSIDE THESE SPICED APPLE SWEET POTATO WAFFLES?
1 medium cooked and pureed sweet potato
1 medium apple shredded
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1 cup dairy free milk
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour ( we use einkorn )
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon sea salt
HOW TO MAKE THESE SPICED APPLE SWEET POTATO WAFFLES
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine shredded apple, pureed sweet potato, pure maple syrup and dairy free milk.
2. In the same bowl add flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sea salt. Mix until all combined( if batter is too thick, add more dairy free milk until desired consistency). Set aside.
3. Preheat waffle maker until ready light appears and waffle maker is heated.
4. Spray with non stick cooking spray or dab waffle grids with coconut oil. Add batter to fill grids but do not over fill.
5. When waffles are fully cooked , depending on your waffle maker, a ready light should appear, open and remove waffles and repeat the process until all waffles are cooked.
These Spiced Apple Sweet Potato Waffles can be served with pure maple syrup and for a little extra goodness try a few cooked apples on top.
These waffles can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
These waffles can be stored in a freezer container in between parchment paper ( to prevent sticking) for up to 3 months for the best results.
Enjoy these Spiced Apple Sweet Potato Waffles anytime of the year paired with toppings or perfect all on their own.